COVID-19 Vaccine Information

Where can I get a COVID-19 vaccine or booster?

Search for a COVID-19 vaccine provider by zip code and vaccine type on the Vaccine Finder website or call 1-800-232-0233.

A list of local clinics and pharmacies is on the My Turn webpage.

The Sarpy/Cass Health Department offers in-home COVID-19 vaccination for residents who are homebound due to an injury, disability, transportation challenge or medical condition that make it difficult to leave the home.  Call 402-339-4334 to request this service.

Who can get a COVID-19 vaccine or booster?

The most up-to-date recommendations can be found on the CDC's Vaccines for COVID-19 webpage. Information below is for people who are NOT moderately to severely immunocompromised; those individuals should refer to CDC's special guidelines.

Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine is only available to people who have a contraindication to Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or who elect to receive J&J because they would otherwise not receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

  Pfizer (age 5-11) Pfizer (age 12+) Moderna
Ages Recommended 5-11 years old 12+ years old 18+ years old
Primary Series

2 doses

3 weeks apart

2 doses

3-8 weeks apart*

2 doses

4-8 weeks apart*

Fully Vaccinated 2 weeks after second dose 2 weeks after second dose 2 weeks after second dose

Booster Dose

Not recommended at this time

At least 5 months after second dose

Pfizer for teens ages 12-17

Pfizer OR Moderna for people age 18+ years

At least 5 months after second dose

Pfizer OR Moderna

Up to Date

Immediately after getting the primary series

Immediately after getting 1 booster dose

Immediately after getting 1 booster dose

Second Booster Dose: Optional for people ages 50+ years old, 4 months after their first booster.  Pfizer or Moderna only.  Also, people ages 18+ years old who received J&J for the primary dose AND booster dose can get a second booster of Pfizer or Moderna.
Special Recommendations for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised: See CDC Recommendations
* An 8-week interval may be best for some people ages 12 years and older, especially males ages 12-39 years. A shorter interval (closer to 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna) is recommended for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, adults age 65 years and older, and people who need rapid protection due to increased concern about community transmission or risk of severe disease.


Is the COVID-19 vaccine free? Why does the appointment registration ask for my insurance information?

The COVID-19 vaccines are always FREE. Vaccines were paid for by the federal government and will be given to all people living in the United States, regardless of insurance or immigration status. COVID-19 vaccine providers may ask for insurance information to bill the insurance plan for a vaccine administration fee. However, providers cannot charge you the balance of the bill. They cannot deny vaccination to anyone who does not have health insurance coverage. Learn more from the CDC’s website.

If you need assistance in obtaining the COVID-19 vaccine

Please call 402-339-4334 and press option 1 or email [email protected].

I lost my COVID-19 vaccine card.  How do I get a replacement?

Follow the steps below:

1. Look up your immunization record history in the Nebraska State Immunization Information System (NESIIS).  Please note, if your social security number has not been entered into the system, your record will not be found in the search.

If your record is unavailable in the NESIIS search...

2. Contact the clinic where you received the vaccine. The clinic will have records of the vaccine type and the date the vaccine was administered.  You MUST contact the clinic you attended (i.e., pharmacy) to replicate the vaccine card.  The Health Department CANNOT replace cards for residents attending other clinics.

If you attended a Health Department clinic...

3. Email your first and last name, date of birth, and home address to [email protected].  Please allow up to one week to provide you with a replacement vaccination card.  The Health Department may not be able to replace a card for vaccine given at other clinics or pharmacies.

I'm traveling internationally soon.  What COVID-19 vaccination documentation is required?

At this time, airlines and the destination country determine their own vaccination documentation requirements. These vary widely and are changing frequently. If you need documentation in addition to the COVID-19 vaccination card, call our office at 402-339-4334. For information regarding current requirements for masking, testing, and other COVID-19 precautions during travel, the following websites may be helpful:

U.S. Department of State: COVID-19 Traveler Information

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): International Travel During COVID-19

CDC: COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination

Which vaccine should I get? How long does protection last? Is it safe for my child to get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Answers to these and other common questions can be found on the CDC’s Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination page and Facts About the COVID-19 Vaccine page. If you prefer a non-government source, the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins University pages also have useful information.  If you have questions that are not answered here please call the Sarpy/Cass Department at 402-339-4334 and press 1.  Phones are answered Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. 

Additional vaccine information

Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services's COVID-19 Vaccine Information

Sarpy/Cass COVID-19 Dashboard

COVID-19 Vaccine Information Packets

Information specific to different COVID-19 vaccine brands, including CDC fact sheet, how to report adverse reactions, and EUA fact sheet:

Pfizer 5-11
Pfizer 12 and Over