The Health Department keeps track of children who have had their blood lead levels tested. For parents of children with elevated blood levels, we provide education to show them the lead hazards in their environment and safe options for remediating those hazards.
What is lead?
Lead is a naturally occurring metal that can cause negative health effects. People are exposed to lead by eating lead chips, ingesting contaminated food or water, and or by breathing in lead dust. Children younger than 6 years are more likely to be exposed to lead dust due to their hand-to-mouth behavior. Many children ingest lead dust by putting objects such as toys and dirt in their mouths. Because of their developing nervous system, children younger than 6 years old are particularly vulnerable to the effects of lead exposure since lead is easily absorbed in their nervous system.
Where are Children exposed?
Children can be exposed to lead where they live, learn, and play. Sources of lead exposure can include the following:
- Chipping or peeling paint in homes or buildings built before 1978
- Water from lead pipes
- Soil near airports, highways, or factories
- Some imported candies and traditional medicines
- Some imported toys and jewelry
- Certain jobs and hobbies
Nebraska Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program