Skip to main content
search
EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish

Environmental Health

Radon

Radon

The Health Department provides information about the dangers associated with elevated indoor radon gas exposure.

What is Radon?

Radon is an odorless and invisible radioactive gas naturally released from rocks, soil, and water. In outdoor environments, radon levels are very low and generally not considered harmful.

Radon can get into homes or buildings through small cracks or holes and build up to higher levels. Over time, breathing in high radon levels can cause lung cancer.

How Radon gets into your home

 

Testing for Radon

Testing the air in your home is the only way to know if there is radon gas present.  Testing is easy and inexpensive, and homes with high radon levels can be easily fixed.  Professional testing and at-home kits are two options for radon testing:

Licensed radon measurement businesses: A listing of licensed radon measurement businesses in Nebraska can found on the Nebraska Radon Program's webpage.

At-home kits: Radon testing kits can be purchased from home local hardware stores and home centers.  A few of the many options to order test kits through the mail include:


For more information about radon visit:

402-339-4334

MENU CLOSE